Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year {belated of course}

Happy New Year!  I hope you all rang it in the way you wanted.  Me on the other hand, was detained.  On Tuesday afternoon, my daughter and I boarded a plane to Chicago.  We arrived at 4:45 p.m.  We took the train from Midway to downtown.  THAT was interesting. When I called the hotel to see how to get there, he told us it was 4 blocks north on State street.  yeah. right.  More like 8 to 10!  By the time we got there, in our room, it was 8 o'clock!  We then left to find something to eat.  We walked all the way to Navy Pier!  Didn't eat there.

It was so pretty.  Then there was this statue of children holding hands.  Tried to get my daughter to pose.  She declined.
 


Aren't they cute?  They are bronzed.  Look at the snow on the ground!  Took this picture of my daughter:

Then, seconds after, she ROLLED down!  It was so funny!  Don't know why I didn't just "flash away?"  or, start the video?  It would have made a GREAT video.  I mean, she just slid and rolled.  You really had to be there to see it.  Thankfully, no one else was around.
We ended up at a Mexican Restaurant.  I was more tired than hungry for, I had been awake since 2:30 a.m. and worked!  I managed a mini taco and a bite of her enchilada.  We walked back to the hotel and I took some cold meds and a HOT bath!  I was cold. To. The. Bones.  It was about 11 p.m. when I climbed into the bed.  I had set the alarm for about 8 a.m. so we could get an early start.  By the time I actually fell asleep, I had been awake for 22 hours!!  I was beyond exhaustion.
I awakened by 6!  I could hear all the street noise.  From 14 stories high!  Trucks and sirens.  I turned on the television.  It was 18 degrees!  Brrrr.  I think we left about 9:30.  Walked over a block and stopped in this diner for breakfast.  It was delicious.  We then took off.  Walking.  This is what we saw along the way:



 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The last picture was taken as we were walking out of the Art Institute.  It had begun snowing!  We started walking back up Michigan Ave, heading back to the hotel.  Plans were to get some lunch, pick up our luggage and take the train back to the airport.  We walked.  and walked.  and walked.  and walked!  My hips and thighs were sore!  I think we walked as far as we did in a day and a half, than we had walked a week in DisneyWorld!  We had lunch at a pizza place.  Pizano's.  It was pretty good.  While sitting there, I decided, I DID NOT want to walk those 10 blocks to the train!  We walked the few blocks to the hotel, picked up our bag and asked the Bellman, Ronnie, to get us a cab.  Yep.  I spent the $40 bucks for a cab.  We were tired.  I couldn't see rolling our bag up State Street to the train.  Been there.  Done that.  Hit some traffic.  Our flight was for 5:53 p.m.  We get there about 4:30.  Not bad.  Except..... the flight was delayed an hour!  There was no way we were going to make our connection to get back to New Orleans!  Okay.  No problem.  Really.  Except one.  There was NOTHING open into New Orleans.  Until Friday.  PROBLEM.  I needed to be at work on Friday!!  The agent at the counter truly was no help.  Was trying to figure out another route.  She asked where I wanted to go.  Seriously?  I told her, "Home, but that obviously isn't an option!"  Gulfport was out.  Baton Rouge had a slim shot, but only after 4 p.m.  Fine.  List us.  Great.  Called my dad.  He began searching.  Turned out, we were delayed 3 hours!!!!  Didn't get into Atlanta until almost midnight!  My dad had booked us a hotel room.  Waited for an agent to appear at the desk.  He was very nice.  I was very patient.  I mean, what else was I supposed to do?  Welcome to the world of "Non-Revving!"  I asked him to list me on the first flight to Baton Rouge.  That was for 9:57 a.m.  Great.  Get to the hotel.  Ask the clerk for toothbrushes and toothpaste.  Our luggage was already gone.  Knew better.  ALWAYS have a carry-on!!  Lesson learned.  Asked for a wake-up call for 7:30.  Heard voices in the hall at about 5 a.m.  OMG!!!  I had just gone to sleep about 1:30 a.m.!  I still had a good 2 hours left to sleep.  Got up, showered and dressed.  Woke daughter.  Went downstairs to eat some breakfast.  Then, to the airport to wait.  None of the non-revs got on that first flight.  We were all rolled over to the next one.  1:57 p.m.  and that one didn't look promising.  The only one that looked good was at 6 p.m.  So we went to the gate and waited.  Again.  Time to begin boarding.  I spoke to the agent.  She said we were 6 and 7 on the list with 1 seat open!!  It didn't look good.  Oh well.  We waited.  She started boarding the plane.  When she started clearing the non-revs a few got on.  She called one name.  Nothing.  She called a family of 4.  Nothing.  Oh boy!  My heart was beginning to race.  Could it be?  Possibly?  We might get on?  I get up and ask her, "Should I hold my breath?  Say a prayer?"  She said, they had 3 minutes and the family of 4 were coming from another concourse and were going to "mis-connect."  YES!  Finally, it was OUR TURN!  We got on!  By the grace of God.  I immediately called my father and told him we were sitting on the plane!  WHAT?!  How?  I told him to call my hubby to pick us up at 2:35.  We were arriving in Baton Rouge! Yipeeeeee.  Finally.  New Year's Eve Day, we were coming home.  Darn "Bowl Games."  Next time, I WILL check the calendar.  Although, if I wouldn't have changed my flight out of Chicago from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., we would have gotten home as planned.  Silly me.
Well, my daughter got a "crash course" in non-revving!!  What a way to get initiated.  At least we didn't get pulled off the plane.  That has happened to me before.  Not fun.  Oh well, chalk it up to life experience.
Overall, we had a good time in Chicago, despite all the walking.  Michigan Avenue was beautiful with all the Christmas lights.  Here are a few pictures from the street:
 
 

Now, I need to hang this on my bedroom door:
 


This was on our hotel door in Chicago.  I need to make one for home.
Okay, off to bed.  Tomorrow is my "Friday."  I am tired and sleepy.  Just wanted to update you on my trip.  You can bet, when I take my son in February, during Mardi Gras week, I WILL be checking to see what is going on in town so I can make it back! LOL    Have a good night!  God Bless. 

5 comments:

kelliebean said...

Yikes! What an adventure - lessons learned and all! :) You're such a cool momma, flying those kids of yours around like that. Happy New Year!!!

luvzenkm2 (Leea) said...

Hey Girl next time let me know and we can do small town (but big Scrapbook shopping) you can fly in south of chi town and we will meet up. Love Chicago but not in the cold.

Adele said...

Oh fun! I grew up across the lake from Chicago. If you go up in the Sears Tower, you can see my house! Our family tradition was to drive round to Chicago and go see the windows at Marshal Field's, then wander through Water Tower Place. The Magnificent Mile is always so gorgeous at Christmas time. Looks like you and DD had a great time together. :D

Christie said...

Looks so pretty! And sounds like you had quite the adventure!

Toni said...

Oh my, don't I know it! And catch this. We're cruising out of MIA on Feb 7th. Uh yeah, THAT Feb 7th (Superbowl Sunday). Don't have a clue how we oversighted that one. So I'm sure I'll have a non-rev story of my own to tell you soon. Which might involve 24 hours in a car. And lots of caffeine. I'm just sayin'.
Blessings,
~Toni~