Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Well, it's only been about a week!?

Well, here it is another week has gone by. It is really getting tough for me to keep up on a regular basis here. For that, I am really sorry. My new job is really interesting. Meeting lots of interesting people. Famous and not-so-famous. Just last week, I met George Rogers, former, professional football player. College and Pro. He was a Heisman Trophy winner. I had the great opportunity to assist him in checking in. There were problems and my Supervisor happened to be at the counter and fixed the problem. While waiting, Mr. Rogers had his trophy with him and asked if I would like to have a picture taken. Well, the only camera I had was on my cell phone, so, we took the picture! Here it is! He was such a nice, funny guy. When he first approached me, he had this look on his face. I asked, “Do you need some help?” He handed me his credit card and paper. I laughed and told him, “Wow! A man handing over his credit card without saying anything? I’m going shopping!” He laughed. Hard. It wasn’t until I saw his name on the card, that it really looked familiar. He played for the New Orleans Saints for a few years. In fact, he was “Rookie of the Year” his first year! He was heading home to South Carolina. He started a foundation that “gives back” to his community. He was a really nice man.

About 2 weeks ago, I met Smokey Robinson. Oh YES I DID! The NICEST man! His eyes were so blue, I could have dove right in. Seriously. Then, there are the “not-so-famous” people I meet. For the most part, they have all been nice. Really. I just had a passenger yesterday that was having a tiny problem with the Kiosk. I assisted him and he asked to see where he was going to be sitting for, he did not feel “Social” today. I said “okay” and he didn’t have anyone sitting next to him. Good. He was also a first class passenger. He was nice about it and said he normally isn’t like that and told me not to take it personally. I didn’t. I normally let things like that roll off me. I get the passengers who have a strange aversion to the machines! They absolutely, do not want to even go near them! I smooze them and tell them, “Look, we’re talking 30 seconds at the max!” All the while, talking to them, I am doing all I need to do to check them in. By the time I finish explaining what I am doing, their name is being called from behind the counter to take their luggage! Painless. Too funny. Last Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday a convention let out that had at least 27,000 youths. They were a Christian group that were in New Orleans. Most of them came in buses, but at least 3 groups of 25 or so, came thru the airport. It was organized chaos. There was always one person in charge. The way we handled it was, for me, I stood between 2 kiosks and was checking them in off the list the leader had! He had one credit card and paid for each bag the youth had. It really went rather smoothly. Of course there were a couple of times the “List” had to be separated in the main system so I could check them in, but we still got it done. August 10th, I will finally start a class. The hours will more than likely be 8 to 5 which is fine with me. It means I do not have to get up at 2:30 in the morning and be there for 4 a.m.!! Of course that is really going to mess up my body clock! Even on my days off, I’ll go to bed around 10 p.m. but still awaken about 3 a.m.! I do go back to sleep, but I am awake by 6 to get hubby up and moving to work! When school starts, he is going to have to make sure the kids are ready. But in actuality, it will be THEM to make sure HE is UP and ready! LOL Well, that is about it for now. I have a Volleyball game in an hour and need to get ready to leave. Have a good one and I’ll be back as soon as I can! Promise. God Bless.

No comments: