Wednesday, May 20, 2009

To ALL Seniors of 2009 {and other nostalgic nonsense!}

I was rummaging thru some "Old" stuff and found a poem I had written for the Senior class of 1983! It could easily be adapted to any year, so therefore, I did. It follows.

Seniors of '09


The Seniors are all waiting

Their time is coming near


May this night always remain special


Let it bring to them a tear.


The Seniors worked so long and hard


and they have gotten up this far


May all their prayers be answered


and their dreams carved on a star.


This night will be the best for them


For the Juniors won't let them forget


We hope the Seniors enjoyed their Prom


For it was the best yet.


We wish the Seniors the best of luck


in everything they try to do,


For the Seniors of '09 left their mark


in places none to few!


Can't believe it's been 25 years since I graduated high school! WoW! I don't feel that old. I really don't. On the 24th of May in the year 1984, I walked across that stage and received my diploma. We had the largest graduating class in the history of the school. 64. And I was in the top 10! I also graduated from the same high school as my mother! Now THAT was a fluke! All 3 of us graduated from the same high school as my mother! Like I said, a FLUKE! It definitely wasn't planned. My mother graduated in 1960. It wasn't until a few years after that, that they had intergrated the schools. Did I say that correctly? They allowed, to be politically correct, African-Americans, in the school! My mom definitely had your "typical" high school in the 50's! All "Happy Days" like. They had "Sock Hops" and school dances and hung out at the local shops! It was a very small town and most of the parents either worked in the local shops, or the Sulphur Plant. VERY LARGE company. It is what moved her family there. The work. It is what afforded my grandmother the ability to stay home with her 3 girls and raise her family. Life was really simple then. I wish it still was. Ah, the simple life. This on the heels of me "retiring" from "Chiken Rancher" to a job with the REAL world! Just 8 more "work" days and I am done. Gee, still can't believe it has been over 10 years. My friend posted on my Facebook Wall, that I should watch her grandson on my last day, for "old time's sake!" Her grandson was the very first "chiken" I cared for. Cannot believe he just turned 11! I was just looking at baby pictures of him! I guess Life keeps growing, moving forward!
Okay, enough of all the Sentimental crap! LOL I have work to do. Have a great day. God Bless.

1 comment:

kelliebean said...

You get all sentimental whenever you want - 10 years is a long time spent doing such a wonderful job with those little chikens. Judging from the fact that you've kept in touch with so many parents, I must say you're very good at what you do! :)

Last year was my 20th. DD starts HS next year. What?! I'm still trying to figure out what happened to all those years!