Sunday, November 23, 2008

So, the countdown has begun!

Today is over enough to say that there are 3 days left until Thanksgiving. I have prepared all my Gumbo with the exception of the "Crawfish Eyes" better known universally as Okra, and that won't go in until the morning of. It's called Crawfish Eyes, because years ago during Thanksgiving dinner, my one and only nephew was at the table, cutting up as usual, and had a spoonful of gumbo and commented on what was on it. It went something like this, "Aunt Veronica, what's this, crawfish eyes?" I said, "Of course! Only the best for you!" Now, for those of you not familiar with okra, there are "seeds" inside. It is sliced, and cooked down, with the exception of the seeds. They look like little eyes. So now, my son, who is soooooo much like my nephew was at that age, asks everytime, "So, are we gonna get the crawfish eyes for the gumbo?" Kids.
I've baked my cornbread for my dressing. I'll start preparing that tomorrow. I will also inject my turkey with all the seasonings and let it marinate for a few days. I'll start cooking it Wednesday night after we return from the wedding. Yes, we have a wedding to attend. I'm sure we'll be home by 10-10:30 p.m. I have an electric roaster I cook the turkey in, so it'll cook over night, then be cool enough to slice and get ready for dinner, which is at 1 p.m. We also have a ham. Picked that up from the "HoneyBaked" store today. I still have to make potato salad, to go with the gumbo, sweet potatoes, green beans, honey pan rolls and 2 pumpkin cheesecakes and brownies! Whew! I'm tired already!! It'll all get done though. It always does.
Kinda upset that "Desperate Housewives" and "Brothers & Sisters" don't come on tonight. :( That is my Sunday night ritual. I think I've got all caught up with my DVR'd shows. I had quite a list! My kitchen is cleaned. surprise. surprise. I'll be starting the dishwasher, AGAIN! Second time today!! Told you I've been cooking! I even prepared a pork roast, mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus for dinner! It was delicious. Good. Because for the next couple of days, it'll be leftovers!! I won't be doing any EXTRA cooking! LOL

I was a little bit "creative" Friday and did my own challenge on the "ScrapBuddies" message board. This is what I did. Let's see if I can post my own challenge sketch here and the product.





I actually did some digital! hard to believe. These were pictures from my daughter's homecoming dance she went to.

Well, gonna go finish up the laundry, take a bath, and go to sleep. Tomorrow will be here soon enough! Have a good night and I'll blog ya later...............

2 comments:

kelliebean said...

mmmmmmmm...crawfish eyes! :) Now THAT kind I'd eat! Girl, you've got a lot of kitchen stuff goin' on this week! I'll bet it's gonna be awesome, and I'm sorry I'm missing it!

Love those homecoming pics - love 'em even more in that LO!

Go rest up. You'll need it!

Amy Jo said...

helllooo Ms. V!

Yummers! Wonder how long it would take me to get to your house for Thanksgiving dinner! hee-hee. It sounds delicious and reminds me of all the work my momma does for Thanksgiving. (Thanks for recalling the happy memory!)

I hope you and yours have a great Turkey Day...and I hope you aren't too tired to enjoy it! Take care my friend!